the difference between sam pepper and shane dawson
- posted this ^^^ video giving a sincere apology
- hes deleted his videos of him doing blackface
- hes admitted he was being ignorant and that he should not have done his blackface videos
- hes admitted hes in the wrong
- hes done his research on the history of blackface (he did not previously know the history of blackface) and has agreed its fucked up
- hes explained the reasoning why he did blackface, and why it was not meant to be malicious and he just didn’t know anything about the subject matter, but agrees it is wrong and he shouldn’t have done it
- hes read posts/tweets of people calling him out and is using them to inform himself of what he is doing wrong so he can learn from his mistakes
- HE HAS ADMITTED HES MADE MISTAKES AND IS MAKING CHANGES TO LEARN FROM HIS MISTAKES
- hes apologized to specific twitter users that he knows have been offended by his videos
- hes stated all the people calling him ‘racist’ he deserves because of his blackface videos, even though he defends the fact he’s not racist and he genuinely sorry
sam pepper has:
- threatened people that called him out on his bullshit
- been a complete asshole
- defended his actions
- has not apologized
aka: sam pepper is an ass but shane dawson is doing his best and is trying to become a better person and move away from the bad shit he’s done in the past, including blackface
dont support sam pepper but don’t drag shane down too bc for real hes honestly trying his hardest to learn from his mistakes and become a better person and move away from the offencive shit hes done bc he knows its fucked up and wrong
I’m gonna kick this kid’s ass
Same reason professional football players are paid more than scientists or professors. Same reason a tenured professor at a university is paid less than that university’s football coach.
Because the US values athleticism over academia. And it sucks.
Nope, it’s called being paid for the monetary value you bring. If you make 1 million dollars but help bring in 10 million you are a great value.
But honestly what are they bringing to society? Nothing. Just because you make the money doesn’t mean you’re an asset.
Have you ever been to america?
that tweet is so stupid
Actually, it’s a legit problem that these kids are being admitted into college. Sure they bring money, but they are not equipped to handle college. And look, I was an NCAA D1 athlete. I’m a huge football fan. I see the cash these kids bring into the school. But it’s a huge issue.
A CNN investigation found public universities across the country where many students in the basketball and football programs could read only up to an eighth-grade level….
As a graduate student at UNC-Greensboro, Willingham researched the reading levels of 183 UNC-Chapel Hill athletes who played football or basketball from 2004 to 2012. She found that 60% read between fourth- and eighth-grade levels. Between 8% and 10% read below a third-grade level….
The issue was highlighted at UNC two years ago with the exposure of a scandal where students, many of them athletes, were given grades for classes they didn’t attend, and where they did nothing more than turn in a single paper….
According to those academic experts, the threshold for being college-literate is a score of 400 on the SAT critical reading or writing test. On the ACT, that threshold is 16. Many student-athletes scored in the 200s and 300s on the SAT critical reading test — a threshold that experts told us was an elementary reading level and too low for college classes. The lowest score possible on that part of the SAT is 200, and the national average is 500….
I recommend you read the entire article. But it IS a problem. You can look at it from a money making perspective, sure. But don’t ignore the fact that a lot of these student-athletes are not even close to being prepared for college. They have the athlete part down, but not the student. While I was being recruited and watched peers be recruited, coaches often would sign just enough kids with high scores to average out the very talented, but lower-score athletes. Recruits in the middle— those who didn’t have superior grades or skill— were often overlooked or told to come back when their grades were better.
Sports fans, I’m sorry, I’m with you. But this is a big issue when illiterate students are taking the spot of well-educated students simply because they can make money for the university. And don’t get me started on how dangerous football is, and how most of the athletes won’t have more than used-up scholarship money to help with their medical expenses down the line.
THERE IT IS AGAIN! THERE IT FUCKING IS! i’VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THIS PHOTO FOR YEARS AND NEVER COULD FIND IT!! THE LAN PARTY WITH THE GUY DUCT-TAPED TO THE CEILING!! BACK IN ANCIENT TIMES WHEN PEOPLE STILL USED CATHODE MONITORS AND WHEN COUNTERSTRIKE WAS THE NEW THING. THIS SHIT IS REAL. THIS IS REAL SHIT. SHIT THAT HAPPENED.